A wart is the infection of the skin by the Human Papilloma virus that causes the appearance of hard tissue on the skin surface. They may appear on the hands, feet (these are more commonly known as verrucae) and on the genitals. The actual appearance of the wart is caused by excessive growth of a hard protein stimulated by the viral infection.
Veruccas look as if they are internal in nature but are actually warts forced into the skin by the pressure placed on the feet. The black spot that is often visible is caused by bleeding within the verruca from the pressure. Verrucas are high contagious and spread through skin contact and floors, which is why it is important to prevent the spread of verrucas by wearing special verruca socks when going swimming.
Warts are usually painless, except in the case of veruccae, where pain occurs when walking.
Children and teenagers are more susceptible to warts and verrucas, but almost everyone will experience them in their lifetime. They are contracted through skin-to-skin contact, and can also be picked up from a contaminated surface. You're more likely to pick up the infection if your skin is damaged or wet; that's why so many people get verrucas after visiting a public swimming pool.
All warts will heal naturally if left alone, however there a number of treatments available over the counter, including therapeutic plasters, gels and creams. Genital and Facial warts should always be examined by a GP. Diabetic people should not treat warts or verrucae themselves and should always consult their GP.
- Warts and Verrucae will heal naturally if left untreated although there are a number of treatments available to speed up the process.
- Diabetic people should not treat warts or verrucae themselves and should always consult their GP.
- Genital and Facial warts should always be examined by a GP.
- Our pharmacist can help you choose the right product for you to treat your wart or verruca.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Scholl Freeze Verruca and Wart Remover 80ml - Fast and effective treatment for removal of verrucas and warts. Do not treat the same verruca or wart more than 4 times in total. Common warts have a raised 'cauliflower-like' appearance and are skin coloured, hard and rough. They usually occur on fingers, the backs of hands and the knees. Verrucas are more flattened, have hard outer edges and often have small black spots in the centre. They occur on the ball of the foot, the bottoms of the toes, or on the heel. A single treatment may be sufficient however, for verrucas, additional applications may be required. Do not use if: - You are diabetic, - You are pregnant or breast feeding. Do NOT use on: - Moles, birthmarks, dark-coloured, hairy or otherwise unusual-looking skin conditions. - The face, chin, armpits, breasts, bottom, genital warts, mucous membranes or skin conditions with signs of swelling or redness. Not recommended for use on children under 4 years. For external use only. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- Bazuka Gel 5g - For the treatment of verrucas, warts, corns and calluses. Complete treatment kit with special applicator, emery board and instructions. Clinically proven. Dries to form a water-resistant, protective barrier. Designed to inhibit spread of the verruca/wart infection. No plasters necessary. Simple, once-daily application. Suitable for adults, children and the elderly. Directions: Carefully apply a thin coating (1 or 2 drops) to the surface of the verruca, wart, corn or callus once every night, and allow to dry. Care should be taken to minimise spreading on to surrounding skin as it may be an irritant. Discontinue use if excessive irritation occurs on or around treated areas. Keep away from the eyes, mucous membranes, cuts and grazes. Not to be used on or near the face, neck, armpits, breasts, bottom or genital regions, or by diabetics or individuals who suffer from poor blood circulation to the hands or feet. Not to be used on birthmarks, moles, warts with hairs growing from them, or any other spots. If in doubt about the diagnosis, or whether product is appropriate, seek medical advice before use. Do not use if sensitive to any of the ingredients. Contains Salicylic Acid and Lactic Acid. Highly flammable. Keep away from flames. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.