Baby teeth erupt continually from the age of 6 months to 3 years. Children then lose their baby teeth as they are forced out by the adult set between 6 and 12 years.
Teething is a natural process and not something to be overly worried about. When it comes to teething, all babies are different. Some babies are born with their first teeth. Others start teething before they are 4 months old, and some after 12 months. But most babies start teething at around 6 months.
Baby teeth sometimes emerge with no pain or discomfort at all. At other times, you may notice that:
- your baby's gum is sore and red where the tooth is coming through
- one cheek is flushed
- your baby is dribbling more than usual
- they are gnawing and chewing on things a lot
- they are more fretful than usual
- Buy a suitable teething gel to help soothe the pain.
- Buy a cooling teething ring or teething biscuits to help the pain.
- Teething causes excess saliva and dribbling, but it does not usually cause the teeth or gums to bleed.
- The child may become more restless.
- The child may start sucking its thumb.
- The child may have a temperature while teething. If so, ask our pharmacist for a painkiller to help with the pain and reduce the temperature. Teething can also cause diarrhoea. If so, give plenty of fluids, e.g. rehydration sachets.
- If white spots appear on the tongue or in the mouth ask to see our pharmacist.
- If you are worried about your child's teething problems, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Bonjela Teething Gel 15g - An antiseptic pain relieving gel which can help prevent minor mouth infections. Its local anaesthetic action acts quickly to relieve pain and soothe sore gums. Fast acting, soothing relief from teething pain. Suitable for teething babies over 2 months. Contains Lidocaine Hydrochloride 0.33% and Caralkonium Chloride 0.010%. Do not use if: - Your child has liver or heart problems. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if: - Your child is taking any other medication. Not recommended for infants under two months. If you have any other symptoms after using this product, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
- Anbesol Teething Gel 10g - Temporary relief of pain caused by teething and recurrent mouth ulcers. Contains Lidocaine hydrochloride, Chlorocresol and Cetylpyridinium chloride. Contains an anaesthetic for quick-acting and effective relief of pain caused by babies' teething, recurrent mouth ulcers and denture irritation. The formulation also includes two antiseptics to protect against infection. Do not apply more frequently than every 3 hours. Your baby is sensitive to any of the ingredients you should not use this product without consulting your doctor or pharmacist. If symptoms continue for more than seven days consult your doctor or dentist. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.