Many allergies result in red and itchy patches on the skin. Most of these reactions will clear up on their own, but using creams and lotions can ease the discomfort. Irritation as a result of allergy is called dermatitis.
- Try to identify the cause of the allergy and avoid contact with it.
- Common causes of allergy are pets, nickel, detergents, cosmetics and some drugs.
- Washing the area of dermatitis with mild soapy water can remove the cause of the allergy.
- When washing gently dab the affected area dry. Do not rub.
- If you are concerned about a skin reaction, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Anthisan Cream 25g - Provides relief from insect bites, stings and nettle rash. Suitable for adults and children two years and above. Contains Mepyramine Maleate. Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before use. Apply two to three times a day for up to three days. Should be applied directly to the site of the insect bite, insect sting or stinging nettle rash. For best results, use as soon as possible after the bite or sting. Do not use: On large areas of skin, if the skin is cut or grazed, on eczema or extensively broken skin or on areas of sunburnt skin. Stop using if you notice signs of skin sensitivity. These include skin redness, swelling and itching, pain or burning sensation. If symptoms worsen or do not improve after 3 days talk to your doctor or pharmacist. For external use only. Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist. Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
- Numark Calamine Lotion 200ml - Contains two active ingredients which work together to cool and soothe the skin. These ingredients are calamine and zinc oxide, and they work by creating a cooling sensation in the skin as this lotion dries and evaporates on the skin. It can also dry oozing or weeping caused by skin irritation as it also works to relieve itching and stinging. Do not use Numark Calamine Lotion if you are allergic to any of the listed ingredients. Speak to your doctor before using this product if you are going to have an x-ray as this product may mask the x-ray picture. For external use only, should not be used on: broken skin, eyes, digestive cavities, genital tract or any other sensitive parts of the body.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.