Nasal congestion and sinus congestion occur most commonly with viruses such as a cold but can also be caused by allergies such as allergic rhinitis.
- Drink plenty of hot drinks.
- If you can, have a hot bath in a closed room as the steam will help clear your nose.
- Using menthol inhalations can clear the nasal passages and help unblock sinuses.
- Decongestants can also help clear symptoms.
- Ask our pharmacist for further advice if you are suffering with this condition.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Numark Nasal Decongestant Spray 15ml - Fast relief of nasal congestion associated with colds, catarrh and hayfever. Contains Oxymetazoline hydrochloride. Do not take if: - You suffer from porphyria, glaucoma, coronary heart disease, high blood pressure, over-active thyroid gland or diabetes. - You are currently taking Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs) - a type of antidepressant. - You are pregnant. Not recommended for children under 12 years. Do not use with other decongestion products. This product is not suitable for long-term use. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor. If you have any other symptoms after taking this product, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of reach of children. Always read the label.
- Sudafed Decongestant Tablets 12s - For the relief of nasal congestion caused by colds, flu and hayfever. Unblocks your nasal congestion. Clears your catarrh. Non-drowsy. Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before use. For oral use only. Adults and children aged 12 years and over: Take 1 tablet with a glass of water every 4-6 hours. Do not take more than 4 tablets in 24 hours. Contains Pseudoephedrine hydrochloride. Do not take if: - You have very high blood pressure or severe heart disease. - You are taking, or have taken within the last 2 weeks, Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors (MAOIs), or furazolidone. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if: - You have liver or heart disease. - You have high blood pressure, heart disease, diabetes, an over-active thyroid gland, glaucoma, or prostate problems. – You are pregnant or breastfeeding. This product contains a decongestant. Do not take with other products for the relief of cold and flu or congestion. Not recommended for children under 12 years. If you have any other symptoms after taking this product, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of reach of children.
- Vicks Sinex Nasal Spray 20ml - Used for localised relief of the symptoms of a blocked nose in association with a cold, hayfever or sinusitis (inflammation of the passages leading to the nose). The effect of the spray starts after several minutes and lasts for 6-8 hours. Contains Oxymetazoline. Do not use if; - You have high blood pressure, a heart complaint, diabetes, thyroid disease, or a liver or kidney disorder. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if; - You are pregnant or breast feeding, - You feel worse or no better after using this product for 7 days, - You are taking any other medication. Not recommended for children under 6 years. Do not use with other decongestion products. Do not use for periods of more than 7 consecutive days. Do not exceed the stated dose. If you have any other symptoms after using this product, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.