Nappy rash is a dermatitis which is found in the nappy area. It is common in infancy. It may become infected by a bacteria or fungus. It is common for babies to have nappy rash when they are teething.
- Change the nappy frequently, as soon after soiling as possible.
- If possible, leave the nappy off to allow air to the skin.
- Avoid waterproof pants as they keep the skin wet.
- Rinse detergents thoroughly from terry nappies.
- Wash the nappy area with warm water and then dry thoroughly with a soft towel. Do not rub too hard.
- Apply nappy rash creams regularly, after baths and at each nappy change.
- Barrier creams should be used to prevent nappy rash even if there is no nappy rash present.
- If you see white patches in the nappy rash area, this may be a fungal infection and can be treated.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Sudocrem Cream 125g - Water-repellent base which forms a protective barrier, therefore helping to stop any irritants (urine and stools) coming into contact with the skin. In addition, the emollient effect of Sudocrem can help to soothe sore inflamed skin whilst leaving the skin feeling soft. Apply a thin layer with suitable covering where necessary. Renew application as required. Suitable for Adults and Children from Birth. For external use only and should not be allowed to come into contact with the eyes and the mucous membranes.
- Metanium Nappy Rash Ointment 30g – Soothes and treats your baby's nappy rash, a topical ointment, which rubs easily into the skin. Wash your hands and dab a small amount (pea size) of the ointment over the sore area with your fingertip. It is important to spread the ointment thinly so that the skin texture can be clearly seen through it. Repeat at each nappy change to treat nappy rash. Contains Titanium dioxide 20.0% w/w, Titanium peroxide 5.0% w/w and Titanium salicylate 3.0% w/w. Do not use Metanium ointment if your baby is allergic (hyposensitive) to any of the ingredients.
- Bepanthen Nappy Care Ointment 30g - Works in two ways to care and protect from the causes of nappy rash; the water in oil formulation keeps the skin healthy and hydrated, while the ingredient pro Vitamin B5 helps the skin repair its natural protective barrier. Aids natural skin recovery and seals in the skin’s natural moisture, providing optimal conditions to allow gentle skin recovery without drying out your baby’s delicate skin. Clinically proven, Bepanthen works by forming a long lasting, transparent layer, protecting even the most delicate skin from irritants and rubbing. Bepanthen is so gentle it can be used at every nappy change to help the most sensitive of skins, including that of premature babies as it contains no colours, fragrance, preservatives or antiseptics.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.