Mouth Ulcers can be very painful and occur anywhere inside the mouth, on thetongue, gums or on the inside of the cheeks. They are usually caused by a physical accident e.g. bitting the inside of the cheek, incorrect fitting dentures or maybe due to poor diet or stress.
- Avoid spicy, acidic or salty foods as these can make the pain worse. Avoid hot drinks as these can make the symptoms worse
- Eat a healthy balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables
- Try and relax, reduce your stress levels and take regular exercise
- Ensure good dental health and hygeine.
- Use a good quality toothbrush and take care not to damage your teeth and gums
- Use an antiseptic mouthwash to prevent infection
- Visit your dentist every 6 months and more regular if your ulcers are due to dental problems.
- If you smoke try to quit.
If you have a mouth ulcer for longer than 10 days, see your pharmacist.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Bonjela Adult gel 15g - Relief from the pain and discomfort of mouth ulcers caused by braces and dentures. Contains Choline salicylate 8.714% and Cetalkonium chloride 0.01%, also contains Ethanol. Always read enclosed leaflet carefully before use. Do not give to children under 16 years old. Keep out of reach and sight of children. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist if: - Your symptoms persist for more than 7 days, - You have a stomach ulcer, - You are pregnant, - You are taking medication for blood clots or gout, - You are allergic to salicylates. No more than 6 doses in 24 hours. Do not exceed the stated dose.
- Corsodyl Mouthwash Mint 300ml - Treatment and prevention of gingivitis, maintenance of oral hygiene and treatment of oral thrush and mouth ulcers. Contains Chlorhexidine digluconate. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are pregnant or breast feeding. If you have any other symptoms after using this product, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
- Iglu Gel Mouth Ulcer Treatment 8g - Fast, effective relief of pain from common mouth ulcers, sore gums and denture rubbing. Forms a smooth, flexible and adhesive protective gel coating when it becomes wet on contact with saliva inside the mouth. Works in three ways: Forms a gel coating to protect the sensitive and delicate area of the mouth lining as it heals, active ingredients work by stopping pain and preventing infection. Suitable for adults and children excluding infants and babies. Please read the enclosed leaflet before use. Wash your hands before and after use. As a guide, each application should normally last for an hour or more, although, on occasions, eating or drinking may make it necessary to re-apply the gel. Do not apply excessive amounts of the gel. Do not use if you are sensitive to any of its ingredients. Keep the gel away from the eyes. In case of accidental contact, wash eye immediately with water: continue rinsing for 10 to 15 minutes, holding the eyelids well apart and avoid getting the rinse liquid into the other eye. Consult a doctor if irritation persists. If your mouth ulcer symptoms persist, seek medical advice. Contains lidocaine hydrochloride and aminoacridine hydrochloride.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.