Insect bites and stings usually result in a red raised patch of skin. They can be extremely itchy and the inflammation can cause discomfort. The use of antihistamine tablets or cream or a hydrocortisone cream can help clear up the bites and ease the itching.
- Do not scratch, try pressing the bite instead.
- Insect repellents and citronella oil can reduce how often you get bitten. They do not stop insects from coming near you and will not deter wasps and bees.
- If you are going abroad, ask our pharmacist about how to prevent bites and malaria prophylaxis.
- There is no oral insect repellent.
- If you have many bites, broken skin, drowsiness or are concerned about a skin reaction, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Anthisan Bite & Sting Cream 20g - Relief from insect bites and stings, nettle rash. Anthisan Bite & Sting Cream should be applied directly to the site of the insect bite, insect sting or stinging nettle rash. For best results, use as soon as possible after the bite or sting. In adults and children of 2 years and above apply two to three times a day for up to three days. Do not use; on eczema or extensively broken skin, if the skin is cut or grazed, on areas of sunburnt skin, on large areas of skin. Stop using if you notice signs of skin sensitivity. These include skin redness, swelling and itching, pain or burning sensation. If symptoms worsen or do not improve after 3 days talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Always read the leaflet before using this medicine. Contains Mepyramine Maleate. Do not use if you have eczema or extensively broken skin or you are pregnant or breast feeding. If you have any other symptoms after using this product, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. For external use only. Keep out of reach of children.
- Numark Hydrocortisone Cream 15g - For the treatment of irritant dermatitis, contact allergic dermatitis, insect bite reactions and mild to moderate eczema. Contains hydrocortisone. Do not use: - On infected skin, cold sores, impetigo, athlete's foot, chickenpox, ringworm or thrush conditions. - On the face, eyes, ano-genital region, open cuts or grazes. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding. Not recommended for use on children under 10 years. For external use only. If you experience any problems whilst using the cream, stop using and consult your doctor. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.