Impotence or erectile dysfunction is caused when there is a break in the sequence of events that cause an erection.
An erection occurs when blood passes into the penis along the arteries and into the erectile tissue, which, when full of blood, becomes rigid. The erection is maintained because the veins that normally carry this blood away tighten and so prevent blood from escaping from the erectile tissue. An erection is reversed when the blood flow into the penis is reduced and the blood flowing out of the penis is increased.
Although impotence is treatable in all age groups, and drug treatment is effective in many men, it is important to identify the underlying cause of the condition.
Treatments for impotence include:
- Oral drug therapy such as sildenafil (Viagra) or testosterone.
- Injected drug therapy: injections are made directly into the erectile tissue of the penis.
- Mechanical vacuum devices.
- Surgery, either to repair any damage to the penis or to implant an inflatable implant.
- You should consult your GP if you are suffering from impotence
- Our Pharmacist can provide advice on any medication that you have been prescribed for impotence including when and how to use the medication.
Products we would recommend for this condition are:
- Viagra Connect 4s / 8s - Treats erectile dysfunction (ED) symptoms in men aged 18 years and older. It works by increasing the blood flow to the penis, which helps men get and keep an erection that lasts long enough for sex. You have to be sexually aroused for it to work and it will not work if you do not have ED symptoms. Viagra Connect is the first over-the-counter erectile dysfunction treatment. This allows the viagra to be purchased without a prescription after answering a few general health questions. Dose: take 1 tablet approximately one hour before sexual activity. Swallow tablet whole with water. Do not take more than 1 tablet a day. Viagra Connect starts to work within 30-60 minutes. You may take it up to 4 hours before sexual activity. Do not take this product if you: do not have an erection problem, take any nitrate medicine for chest pain or heart failure, take riociguat for high blood pressure in the lungs, if your doctor advises you to avoid sexual activity because of a problem with your heart or blood vessels, have a severe heart or liver problem, have ever had severe vision loss or a rare inherited eye disease, have a deformed penis, have an allergy to any of the ingredients in this product, have low blood pressure, take ritonavir for the treatment of HIV. Always read the label. Speak to our pharmacists for more information.
For more information about Erectile Dysfunction and Viagra Connect click here.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.