Heartburn is caused by excess stomach acid escaping up the gullet and causing a burning sensation in the oesophagus (food pipe). It can be relieved quickly with over the counter medicines.
- Avoid large meals: it is better to eat little and often.
- Avoid lying down immediately after you have eaten.
- Chew your food properly and do not rush your meal.
- Avoid spicy and greasy foods as they can worsen heartburn.
- Some heartburn remedies can stop other medicines from working. Ask in the pharmacy if your tablets are safe with a heartburn remedy
- Anyone whose heartburn passes into their shoulder and down the arm should see their doctor as soon as possible.
- Smoking and being overweight can worsen heartburn.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Gaviscon Advance Liquid Aniseed 300ml - Brings long lasting relief from the pain and discomfort of heartburn and acid indigestion. Fast powerful relief. Gets to work in two different ways: 1) neutralising excess stomach acid to relieve pain and discomfort (white layer) 2) forming a protective barrier over the stomach contents to soothe the burning pain in your chest (pink layer) Contains Sodium alginate, Sodium bicarbonate and Calcium carbonate. If symptoms persist after 7 days consult your doctor. If you have been advised to follow a diet restricted in sodium or calcium consult your doctor before taking this product. Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
- Numark Ranitidine 75mg Tablets 12s - Effective treatment for heartburn, indigestion and excess acid. Suitable for adults and children over the age of 16. Can treat symptoms for up to 12 hours by preventing the stomach from producing too much acid. Do not take if you are allergic to the active ingredient or any of the other ingredients in this medicine or you are under the age of 16. Take caution whilst using this medicine if you: have previously had trouble swallowing, suffer from kidney or liver problems, have too much pigment which may discolour your urine (porphyria), experience losing weight without intending to. Dose; swallow a single tablet with some water as soon as you feel symptoms coming on. If the tablet does not combat the symptoms in 1 hour, take one more. Children under the age of 16 are strongly recommended not to take this medicine. Do not take more than 2 tablets in 24 hours. If you exceed the dosage, contact your doctor or the nearest hospital immediately. If you miss your dose, carry on taking as normal. Do not double dose to make up for lost medicine. Always read the label.. Keep out of reach of children.
- Gaviscon Double Action Liquid Mint 300ml - For heartburn and indigestion. Fast effective relief. Lasts up tp 4 hours. Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies. For oral use only. Use within 6 months of opening. Suitable for adults and children aged 12 years and over. Children under 12 years should only be taken on medical advice Always read the leaflet before use. Contains Sodium alginate, Sodium bicarbonate and Calcium carbonate. Keep out of reach of children.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.