Eczema is a condition that causes the skin to become inflamed (red), sore and itchy. It may be dry, or it can weep. Eczema often runs in families, but many children do ‘grow out of it’. In some cases, eczema can cause much disruption to the daily routine.
- Constant use of emollients such as unscented creams and bath oils is the best prevention of an eczema flare-up.
- Treat the flare-up as soon as you can, Age restrictions do apply for some products, so ask our pharmacist which product is best for you or your child.
- Synthetic clothing e.g. polyester and elastane worsen eczema. Try to wear cotton clothing.
- Avoid the use of soap. Use aqueous cream as a soap substitute.
- Avoid perfumed products and cosmetics and use a non-biological washing powder.
- Lanolin and wool fat can worsen some people's eczema.
- Avoid physical contact with any trigger factors, e.g. pets, washing up liquid.
- At times of high anxiety eczema usually flares up.
- If you are worried about the condition of your skin, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Numark Hydrocortisone Cream 15g - Contains Hydrocortisone 1%. Do not use: - On infected skin, cold sores, impetigo, athlete's foot, chickenpox, ringworm or thrush conditions. - On the face, eyes, ano-genital region, open cuts or grazes. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are pregnant, planning to be pregnant or breast feeding. Not recommended for use on children under 10 years. For external use only. If you experience any problems whilst using the cream, stop using and consult your doctor. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- Eumovate Eczema and Dermatitis Cream 15g - For itchy, red, dry skin. To clear flare-up and break the itch-scratch cycle of eczema and dermatitis. Contains Clobetasone butyrate 0.05% w/w. Eumovate Eczema & Dermatitis 0.05% Cream also provides a moisturising action for your flare-up which lasts up to 24 hours. Suitable for adults and children over 12 years of age. Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before use. Apply to the affected area twice a day for up to 7 days. If your skin does not improve or gets worse within a week, stop using and consult your doctor. For external use only. Don't use Eumovate Eczema & Dermatitis 0.05% Cream: If you have ever had a reaction to Eumovate Eczema & Dermatitis 0.05% Cream or any of its ingredients. If you are pregnant, may be pregnant or breastfeeding. If you are using any other topical corticosteroids. On children under 12. On broken or infected skin e.g. cold sores, athletes foot, impetigo or thrush. To treat psoriasis. To treat acne. The cream should not be used on the following areas: on your face, on private parts, between the toes. Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- E45 Itch Relief Cream 50g - Rapid relief from the itch of eczema. Treats and soothes problem, dry skin conditions. E45 Itch Relief Cream treats and soothes the itching caused by eczema, dermatitis, pruritus and other dry skin conditions. The anti-itch ingredient, lauromacrogols rapidly relieves the itching caused by these problem, dry skin conditions. Specially formulated with urea, a moisturiser found naturally within the skin, E45 Itch Relief Cream is non-greasy, moisturising and quickly absorbed to soothe your skin leaving it feeling calm and comfortable. Do not use if: - You are allergic to any of the ingredients, - You suffer from severe and widespread redness, oozing or infected sores, or if the affected area has suddenly become inflamed. - or on breast prior to breast-feeding. If your symptoms persist or you have any other symptoms after using this product, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. For external use only. Keep out of reach of children. Always read directions before use.
- Oilatum Cream 150g - For eczema and related dry skin conditions, soothes, softens and rehydrates. Relieves itching. Light liquid paraffin white soft paraffin. Fragrance free. Suitable for adults and children. Apply to the affected area. Use as often as required or as directed by our pharmacist or your doctor. Oilatum Cream is especially effective if applied immediately after washing, to counteract the loss of essential oils from the skin. Avoid using the product if you are sensitive to any of the ingredients. If an adult uses this product whilst breast-feeding, wash all traces prior to feeding. If you get any side effects, talk to your doctor, pharmacist or nurse. For external use only. Keep out of reach of children. Do not use the product after the expiry date.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.