Ear wax is a natural product found in the outer ear. Sometimes it builds up and hardens, forming a plug. This plug needs removing with ear drops.
- Do not use cotton buds or push anything into the ear. This can compact the wax further forming a wax plug. It can also damage the eardrum.
- Avoid violent nose blowing.
- Do not use ear wax removal treatments regularly.
- Do not use ear wax removal treatments if you have a perforated eardrum.
- The peanut oil in ear drops, which is also known as arachis oil, is refined and should not cause problems to people with peanut allergies.
- If you are about to go on a plane or go diving and have an ear problem, please see your doctor.
- If you have pain, discharge or dizziness, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Cerumol Ear Drops 11ml - For the loosening and removal of ear wax. Contains Chlorobutanol, Refined peanut oil. Do not use if: - Your ear drum is perforated, - Your ear canal is sore or inflamed, - You are allergic to peanut or soya oil. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children. Use within six months of opening.
- Otex Ear Drops 8ml - Clinically proven. A unique, dual-action formula which softens hardened ear wax and gently liberates oxygen to help disperse it. Reduces the need for syringing. Easy squeeze bottle. Contains Urea hydrogen peroxide 5% w/w. Do not use if: - Your ear drum has or is damaged, - You suffer from dizziness, - You have any other ear disorder such as pain, discharge, inflammation, infection, or tinnitus, - You have used any other products in the ear, - Your ear has become damaged because you have tried to dislodge wax with fingernails, cotton buds etc. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.