Dry skin is an uncomfortable condition marked by scaling, itching, and cracking. It can occur for a variety of reasons and you may even have naturally dry skin. If your skin tends to be oily you can still experience episodes of dry skin from time to time. Dry skin can affect any part of your body, most commonly the hands, arms, and legs.
Dry skin is more common in the winter as the cold and hot temperatures (outside and inside) create a low humidity which can cause the skin to lose moisture. As a result you might have to change your skin care routine to compensate for the cold weather and the amount of time we spend with central heating at home and air conditioning at work. Dry skin can be really frustrating and leave you uncomfortable all day long and dry skin that cracks can be troublesome to treat.
When skin becomes dehydrated and irritated, it loses its flexibility and begins to crack and itch. A good skin care routine is crucial in making a difference to your skin’s condition. A little care and effort can be the difference that your skin needs to show its better, healthier side plus having skin that both looks and feels good will make you feel confident.
- Regular use of emollients and creams.
- Avoid using strongly perfumed soaps and bubble baths.
- Avoid perfumes and products that you know you are allergic to.
- For dry cracked heels try applying plenty of white soft paraffin and then wrap the heel in clingfilm overnight.
- Wear cotton gloves after applying the cream to the hands as this improves its effectiveness.
- Apply creams and emollients after taking a bath or shower.
- Use a facial scrub twice a week to help remove flaky skin.
- If you are worried about your symptoms, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- E45 Cream 125g - Effective and pleasant to use, E45 Cream has been clinically proven to treat and soothe dry, itching, flaking, chapped, rough and calloused skin, sunburn and detergent hands. Its non-greasy emollient formulation is quickly absorbed by your skin, leaving it soft, comfortable and relieved.Dermatologists also recommended E45 Cream for use in more serious dry skin conditions, such as eczema, dermatitis, ichthyosis. E45 Cream can be used everyday by the whole family including babies. Check that the tube seal is intact before first use. Apply liberally 2 or 3 times daily, or as required. For external use only. Do not use if allergic to any of the ingredients. If you suspect an allergic reaction stop using the product. If symptoms persist or anything unusual happens, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Do not use after the expiry date shown on the pack. May cause allergic reactions (possibly delayed), such as local skin reactions. If symptoms persist consult your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- E45 Lotion 200ml - For moisturising dry skin conditions. E45 Lotion is light, unperfumed and can be used all over your body, face and hands to care for dry and sensitive skin. Use it everyday to help keep your skin soft, supple and moisturised and to prevent it from becoming dry. The gentle, hypoallergenic formulation is easily absorbed and can be used on even sensitive skin. Use as often as required on hands, body and face, to help keep dry and sensitive skin soft, supple and moisturised.
- Oilatum Soap 100g - Emollient Cleanser Soap Bar, cleanses dry and sensitive skin for every day use. Lightly fragranced. Oilatum Soap Bar is an emollient cleanser, designed for dry and sensitive skin. Suitable for daily cleansing for both adults and children. To use, using a little warm water, massage soap into the skin. Rinse off and pat dry.
- Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion 300ml - The unique formula of Aveeno Daily Moisturising Lotion 300ml is clinically proven to go beyond 24 hour moisturisation and replenish the skin's natural barrier function, to significantly improve the condition of dry skin in just 2 weeks. Absorbs quickly and leaves skin looking and feeling soft, smooth and healthy. Fragrance and paraben free. For best results, apply daily after your bath or shower.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.