Diarrhoea is when bowel habits become far more frequent and involves stools being watery and unformed. It is often accompanied with griping pains.
- The diarrhoea should stop within 2 to 3 days without treatment. Please talk to our pharmacist if it persists.
- The products that our pharmacist can recommend will stop the diarrhoea sooner than without treatment.
- Replace the fluids lost during short and long periods of diarrhoea by taking rehydration sachets (especially in children under 12 and the elderly). For babies and young children, boil and cool the water before making the sachets.
- With acute diarrhoea take a 24-hour break from all food and drink except for water and soft drinks.
- Avoid milk but do continue to breast-feed/formula feed.
- If you need more help, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Imodium Plus Comfort Tablets 6s - Can relieve diarrhoea, painful cramps, bloating & wind. Contaisn Loperamide hydrochloride and Simeticone. Suitable for adults and children aged 12 years and over. Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before use. Dosage: Swallow the correct number of tablets whole with a drink of water. Adults over 18 years of age: Take 2 tablets initially, followed if required, by one tablet after every further loose bowel movement. Young adults aged 12 to 18 years: Take 1 tablet initially, followed if required, by 1 tablet after every further loose bowel movement. No more than 4 tablets should be taken per day, for a maximum of 2 days. If your diarrhoea lasts more than 48 hours, contact your doctor. Do not take more medicine than the label tells you to. Not recommended for children under 12 years. Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy, or if symptoms persist. Seek advice before using if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, breastfeeding or suffer from allergies.
- Numark Loperamide Capsules 2mg 12s - For the effective treatment of sudden short-lived (acute) attacks of diarrhoea. Contains loperamide. Do not use if: - You are pregnant or thinking of becoming pregnant, - You are breast feeding, - You are allergic to loperamide. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if: - You suffer from liver disease. Not suitable for children under 12 years. If your diarrhoea lasts more than 24 hours see the doctor. Use caution when driving or operating machinery if you feel tired or sleepy. If you have any symptoms after taking this product, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- Numark Rehydration Treatment Sachets 6s - For the treatment of acute diarrhoea, and for the treatment and prevention of dehydration by replacing fluids and body salts lost through diarrhoea. Restores natural salt and fluid balance. Dissolves in water. Directions for use: Mix the contents of 1 sachet with 200ml of fresh drinking water and drink immediately. When fresh drinking water is not available, freshly boiled and cooled water should be used. For infants under 1 year, use freshly boiled and cooled water only. This medicine should be used within 1 hour, but if refrigerated, can be kept for up to 24 hours. Dosage: Adults, the elderly and children over 12 years: 1 or 2 sachets after each loose motion, as required. Children 1 to 12 years: 1 sachet after each loose motion. Infants under 1 year: Not to be given unless instructed by your doctor. Do not exceed the stated dose. Consult your doctor if symptoms persist for longer than 24-48 hours. Keep all medicines out of the sight and reach of children. Contains Dextrose monohydrate 3.58g, sodium chloride 470mg, potassium chloride 300mg, sodium citrate dihydrate 390mg and citric acid.
- Dioralyte Blackcurrant Sachets 6s - Dioralyte Relief Blackcurrant is recommended for the replacement of essential body water and salts in the treatment of acute diarrhoea. During diarrhoea the body loses water and salts and Dioralyte Relief Blackcurrant replaces these whilst at the same time helping watery stools return to normal more rapidly. Early use is important to avoid dehydration, especially in the young and elderly. Contains Sodium chloride, Potassium chloride, Disodium hydrogen citrate and Glucose. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if: - You have had persistent vomiting, - You suffer from an intestinal obstruction, - You have liver or kidney problems, - You are diabetic. Infants under the age of 2 years should be seen by a doctor as soon as possible. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.