Dandruff is a common skin condition that causes dry flakes to build up in the hair and scalp. It is estimated that half of all people will suffer from dandruff at some point during their lives.
The condition is not contagious and doesn't usually pose a health threat, but can be unpleasant and embarrassing as the flakes are often noticeable. Dandruff ranges from mild to severe and is sometimes associated with the skin condition seborrhoeic dermatitis.
It is not always clear what causes dandruff, but some factors that can make It worse include overusing hair products, washing hair too much or too little, and emotional stress.
Dandruff usually responds well to treatment, with the most common type being anti-dandruff shampoo. This is available over-the-counter from most pharmacists and usually helps to clear a flaky scalp within a few weeks.
- Dandruff is common and should not be something to be embarrassed about.
- Choose a treatment that is proven to work.
- Wash the hair frequently, daily if possible.
- Use an anti-dandruff shampoo regularly to stop the dandruff returning.
- Avoid highly-perfumed shampoos and shampoos that strip the hair.
- Do not scratch at the flakes as this will only make it worse.
- Not all scalp flaking is dandruff.
- If you are worried about your dandruff, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Nizoral Shampoo 60ml - Treats and prevents dandruff and its symptoms such as dry, flaky, red, itchy scalp. Dermatologically tested. Fragrance free. For healthier scalp. Up to 3 months treatment. Directions: 1. Wet hair. 2. Apply a small amount to scalp. Work into a lather. 3. For best results leave on scalp for 3-5 minutes. 4. Rinse thoroughly. For the first 2 to 4 weeks: use every 3 or 4 days to clear dandruff. Thereafter: use once every 1 or 2 weeks to prevent dandruff from coming back. If your scalp has not cleared after 4 weeks, you may not have dandruff and should seek further advice from our pharmacist or your doctor. Do not use more often than directed. Please read the enclosed leaflet, it will give you more information. Contains Ketoconazole. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are using any steroid creams on your scalp. Keep out of the reach and sight of children. Store below 25°C. For external use only. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo 250ml - Suitable for all ages. Directions: 1. Wet hair thoroughly. 2. Briskly rub a liberal amount of shampoo into your hair and scalp for several minutes, working the shampoo into a rich lather. 3. Rinse your hair thoroughly. 4. Repeat steps 2 and 3. Use once or twice weekly for dandruff as necessary, every two or three days for psoriasis, itching scalp, and seborrhoeic dermatitis, or as directed by your doctor. Possible side effects; Like all medicines, Alphosyl 2 in 1 Shampoo can have side effects, but not everyone gets them. Stop the treatment and speak to your doctor or pharmacist if you experience: Allergic reactions which may be severe such as skin rash and itching, sometimes with swelling of the mouth or face, or shortness of breath. Skin irritation. Sensitivity to light. If you do get any side effects, even those not mentioned above, tell your doctor or pharmacist. Contains Alcoholic extract of coal tar. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before using this product if you are pregnant, thinking of becoming pregnant or breast feeding. If symptoms persist, get worse or you have any other symptoms after using this product consult your doctor or pharmacist. For external use only. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.