Cystitis is inflammation of the urinary tract caused by damage or infection. Typical symptoms include pain when passing urine, an urgent need to urinate and feeling unwell, weak or feverish.
It is usually caused by not emptying your bladder properly or irritation around the urethra. Cystitis is more common in women and those who have suffered from the condition before, may be able to diagnose the condition themselves.
However, the symptoms of cystitis can also be caused by other conditions, so children and men should always see their GP.
Mild cystitis usually clears up by itself within a few days, without the need for treatment, but there are several things you can do to reduce your symptoms and feel better, such as taking over-the-counter remedies and pain relief.
- Ask your pharmacist to choose the product which is most suitable for you.
- Drink more water to help flush the stinging urine through your body.
- Avoid alcohol, tea and coffee which can irritate the bladder.
- Drinking cranberry juice has traditionally been recommended as a way of reducing your chances of getting cystitis.
- Always wipe from front to back when you go to the toilet.
- Wear cotton briefs and loose clothing.
- Excessive washing of the area can worsen the symptoms; washing morning and night is advised, though.
- All men and children should seek medical advice from their doctor.
- Do not use bath additives in your bath water.
- If there is no improvement after 48 hours, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Cystopurin Sachets 6s - Each pack contains 6 sachets of powder, low in sodium and with natural cranberry juice extract, which you simply mix with water to make cranberry flavoured drinks. Directions: Adults and children over 6 years: Empty the contents of one sachet into a small glass of cold water (200ml) and stir until the granules dissolve to give a cranberry flavoured drink. Take three times daily for two days. Contains mannitol (E421) citric acid (E330) potassium citrate 3g aspartame (E951). Contains a source of phenylalanine. Harmful for people with phenylketonurea. Not recommended for children under 6 years. If symptoms persist longer than the 48 hour treatment you should consult your doctor. Do not take Cystopurin if you are pregnant, or have had kidney or heart disease, without first consulting your doctor. Do not exceed the stated dose. Keep out of the reach and sight of children.
- Cymalon Sachets 6s - For the symptomatic relief of the burning pain and stinging of cystitis in women. For oral use only. Dissolve the contents of one sachet in a glass of water. Adult women, take the contents of one sachet in water three times a day for 2 days. You should take all six sachets to complete the treatment. Contains Sodium citrate, Potassium citrate, Citric acid, Sodium carbonate, Sodium bicarbonate. Do not take without consulting with your doctor or pharmacist if: - You are pregnant or breast feeding, - You suffer from heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, kidney disease, - You have a diet in which salt intake is restricted. For use in adult women only. Do not exceed the stated dose. If your symptoms persist or come back frequently or if you have any other symptoms after using this product, consult with your doctor or pharmacist. Always read the label. Keep out of reach of children.
- Numark Cystisis Relief Sachets 6s - Contains Sodium citrate dihydrate. Do not take if: - You suffer from heart disease, diabetes, high blood pressure or have ever had kidney disease. - You are on a low salt diet. - You are pregnant or breastfeeding. Not recommended for use in men or children. If you have any other symptoms after taking this product, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of reach of children. Always read the label.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.