Coughs - Dry Adult
Dry coughs produce little or no phlegm and may start as a tickle at the back of the throat.
- Ask our pharmacist to choose the best medicine for your cough.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Dry coughs can continue for 3 to 4 weeks.
- If you have a dry cough that wakes you in the night, causes pain, is wheezy or makes your chest feel tight, ask our pharmacist for advice.
- Smokers usually suffer more with their coughs. For advice on how to stop smoking, ask our pharmacist.
- If you are asthmatic, taking high blood pressure tablets or are worried about your cough, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Numark Dry Cough Linctus 200ml - A cough linctus is an oral solution taken to treat dry and unproductive coughs. It provides a soothing relief from irritating cough. Contains dextromethorphan hydrobromide, 10mg per 5ml solution. Not to be used for more than 5 days without advice from a doctor. Adults and children over 12 years of age: take two 5ml spoonfuls (10ml) up to four times per day. Children from 6-12 years: take one 5ml spoonful up to four times per day. Always consult your GP if your child’s symptoms gets worse during treatment. This cough linctus is not recommended for children under the age of 6. Consult your GP before taking this cough linctus if you are pregnant or breastfeeding. Do not take with any other cough or cold medicine. This medicine may cause drowsiness. If you experience drowsiness, do not drive or operate machinery. Always read the label.
- Numark Pholcodine Linctus 200ml - For the treatment of dry coughs. Contains Pholcodine. Consult with your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if: - You suffer from liver or kidney problems, - You have asthma or breathing problems, - You are pregnant or breast feeding, - You are taking any other medicines. Not recommended for children under 1 year. Do not exceed the stated dose. May cause drowsiness. If affected do not drive or operate machinery. Avoid alcohol. If you have any other symptoms after taking this product, consult your doctor or pharmacist. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- Robitussin Dry Cough Medicine 100ml - Suppresses dry coughs. Soothing effect. Sugar free. To get the most from your medicine, it is recommended that you take a dose four times per day.
By using Robitussin in this way, the active ingredients can help your body to be more effective at relieving your cough all day long. For oral use only. Adults and children over 12 years: One 10ml measure up to four times daily. Children under 12 years: Do not use. Always use the dosing cup provided with the pack. Contains Dextromethorphan Hydrobromide 7.5 mg. Talk to our pharmacist or your doctor before taking this medicine if you are taking any other medicines, or are pregnant or breastfeeding. If symptoms persist, consult your doctor. Please read enclosed leaflet before use. This medicine can make you feel sleepy. Do not drive while taking this medicine until you know how it makes you feel. Keep out of the sight and reach of children. Do not use if cap seal is broken when purchased.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.