A cough can be of two types, chesty coughs which produce lots of phlegm and dry coughs which produce little or no phlegm and may start as a tickle at the back of the throat.
- Ask our pharmacist to choose the best medicine for your child's cough.
- Have your child drink plenty of fluids.
- Productive chesty coughs should not last more than 14 days.
- Dry coughs can continue for 3 to 4 weeks.
- Antibiotics are rarely necessary for coughs but if a chesty cough lasts for more than 2 weeks see your doctor.
- If your child gets a chesty cough for long periods every year, ask our pharmacist for advice.
- If your child has a dry cough that wakes them in the night, causes pain, is wheezy or makes their chest feel tight, ask our pharmacist for advice.
- If your child is asthmatic or you are worried about their cough ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Benylin Infants Cough Syrup 125ml - Coughing starts when parts of your child’s breathing passages become inflamed or irritated. Contains glycerol. Sugar free. For oral use only. Do not use more than the stated dose shown. Give 3-4 times within 24 hours, as required, if symptoms persist for more than 3 days, talk to your doctor or pharmacist. Dosage: Children 3months to 1 year: One 5ml spoonful. Children 1-5 years two 5ml spoonfuls.Always read the label.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.