Coughs - Chesty Adult
Chesty coughs produce lots of phlegm. If the phlegm is yellow/ green this could mean that there is an infection present. If this is the case, please consult our pharmacist for further advice.
- Ask our pharmacist to choose the best medicine for your cough.
- Drink plenty of fluids.
- Productive chesty coughs should not last more than 14 days.
- Antibiotics are rarely necessary for coughs but if a chesty cough lasts for more than two weeks see your doctor.
- If you get a chesty cough for long periods every year, ask our pharmacist for advice.
- Smokers usually suffer more with their coughs. For advice on how to stop smoking ask our pharmacist.
- If you are asthmatic, taking high blood pressure tablets, or are worried about your cough, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Covonia Expectorant 150ml - An oral solution for the symptomatic relief of productive coughs and sore throats. Contains Levomenthol, Liquorice Liquid Extract, Menthol, Squill Tincture. Non drowsy. For Oral Use. Suitable for adults and children over 12 years: Take 1 or 2 x 5ml spoonfuls. Children 5-12 years: Take 1 x 5ml spoonful. The dose may be repeated every 4 hours if required. Not recommended for children under 5 years. Do not take if; You suffer from any form of heart complaint, You are sensitive to any ingredients. Consult your doctor or pharmacist before taking this product if; You are taking any other medication, You are pregnant or breast feeding. Do not exceed the stated dose. If symptoms persist consult your doctor. If you have any other symptoms after taking this product, consult our pharmacist or your doctor. Keep out of the reach of children. Always read the label.
- Numark Cough Mix Adult Chesty 200ml - Chesty cough expectorant. Contains diphenhydramine hydrochloride and levomenthol. Used to relieve coughing and congestion related to common cold and flu. Do not take this medicine if you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed in the patient information leaflet. Chesty cough expectorant should not be taken if you; have a cough for a few weeks that might be caused by asthma or a cough that brings up a lot of mucus or are taking drugs for depression (MAOI’s). You should consult your GP or pharmacist before taking this medicine if: you suffer from liver or kidney problems, have difficulty passing water, have narrow-angle glaucoma, have an intolerance to some sugars, are taking any medicines containing codeine or if you are taking any other medicines. Do not give to children under the age of 12. May cause drowsiness, do not drive or operate machinery if you feel affected. This medicine contains alcohol and may be harmful for people suffering from alcoholism. Always read the label.
- Numark Mucus Cough 200ml - Used to help loosen phlegm and mucus associated with productive coughs. Contains Guaifenesin (100mg per 5ml.). Suitable for adults and children over the age of 12. Take 10ml up to 4 times a day. Do not exceed 40ml in any 24 hour period. This chesty cough syrup is not recommended for children under the age of 12. Consult you GP if cough persists for more than 7 days. Do not take this mucus cough syrup if you are allergic to any of the ingredients listed in the patient information leaflet. Do not take more than the stated dose.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.