Constipation is a condition that affects people of all ages on a daily basis, with an estimated one in seven adults and up to one in every three children in the UK suffering from it at any one time.
The term has different meanings for different people, but usually indicates that you are not passing stools regularly or unable to completely empty your bowel. Constipation can affect sufferers for different lengths of time, with some of the symptoms including lower abdominal pain and difficult bowel movements.
In most cases, diet and lifestyle changes, such as consuming more fibre and fluids, are recommended as the first treatment for constipation, but there are a number of over-the-counter remedies and medications available.
Our bowel habits are very different. Being ‘regular’ can mean going once every three days for one person and going three times a day for another.
- Drink more fluids, but not tea, coffee, cola or alcohol.
- Eat more fibre which is found in fruit, fresh vegetables and wholemeal foods.
- Regular exercise improves bowel habits.
- Relaxing in a hot bath may help you to go.
- Never put off going the toilet when you know you need to go.
- Taking too many laxatives can stop your bowels working on their own.
- If you notice a change in your stools or get frequent stomach ache ask to see our pharmacist.
- If you are having to take regular laxatives, ask our pharmacist for advice.
Products we recommend for this condition are:
- Dulcoease Soft Gel Capsules 30s - Stool softener provides relief when bowel movement is painful or difficult, if you are constipated or suffer from piles or anal fissure. DulcoEase softens hard, dry stools by increasing their absorption of natural fluids. Also may be used before abdominal X-ray. Suitable for adults 18 years and over. 1 capsule orally, up to 5 times per day; initially, try 3 capsules per day, then adjust according to need. Reduce the dose when you feel more comfortable, usually within 1-2 days. Keep all medicines out of the reach of children. Do not exceed the stated dose. If you take too many, talk to a doctor straight away. If symptoms do not go away, talk to your doctor. If laxatives are required daily or if you have persistent abdominal pain or change of bowel habits consult your doctor. Contains Ducusate Sodium 100mg. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy or if symptoms persist. Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies.
- Dulcolax Tablets 20s - Gentle and effective relief from constipation, working predictably and reliably overnight. Dulcolax Tablets have a special coating that helps to ensure the medicine works only where needed, gently stimulating the bowel and returning the body to its natural rhythm. Suitable for adults and children 10 years and over. Please read the enclosed leaflet carefully before taking this medicine. Contains Bisacodyl 5mg. Take one or two tablets daily before bedtime, or as directed by your doctor. If you have not taken Dulcolax before, start with one tablet and increase to two if necessary. Swallow tablets whole, with water. Children under 10 years: Consult your doctor. If Laxatives are required daily or if you have persistent abdominal pain or change of bowel habits consult your doctor. Do not take: if you have an intestinal obstruction, if you have an inflammatory gastrointestinal disorder, if you have severe dehydration, if you are pregnant, planning a pregnancy, or breast-feeding. Do not store above 25°C. Keep the container in the outer carton. Keep out of the sight and reach of children. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy or if symptoms persist.
- Fybogel Sachets 10s - The treatment of patients requiring a high fibre regime: for example, for the relief of constipation, including constipation in pregnancy and the maintenance of regularity; for the management of bowel function in patients with colostomy, ileostomy, haemorrhoids, anal fissure, chronic diarrhoea associated with diverticular disease, irritable bowel syndrome and ulcerative colitis. Contains 3.5 g ispaghula husk BP. Adults and children over 12 years old: One sachet, morning and evening. Fybogel Orange is intended for oral use as a suspension in a full drink of water. The granules should be stirred into a glass of water and taken as soon as possible, preferably after meals. The product should be taken during the day at least ½ to 1 hour before or after intake of other medicine and should not be taken immediately before going to sleep. The product should not be taken dry. Do not use if: you have faecal impaction, you have symptoms such as abdominal pain, nausea and vomiting unless advised by a doctor, abdominal pain occurs or in cases of any irregularity of faeces, use of product should be discontinued and medical advice must be sought. When taken with inadequate fluid amounts, bulk forming agents can cause obstruction of the throat and oesophagus with choking and intestinal obstruction. Symptoms can be chest pain, vomiting, or difficulty in swallowing or breathing. The treatment of debilitated patients and / or elderly patients requires medical supervision. Always read the label.
- Senokot Tablets 20s - A reliably effective laxative made with natural senna treated especially to yield a constant amount of active ingredient in each dose, to give predictable relief from occasional or non-persistent constipation. Works in 8-12 hours. Helps restore your natural rhythm. Suitable for adults and children over the age of 6 years. Always read the label. For oral adminstration. Adults and children over 12: Take 2 tablets at night (Do not take more than 2 tablets in any 24 hour period). Children 6 and over: consult your doctor. Not recommended for children under 6. Dose can be repeated on a daily basis until bowel action is restored, but if there is no bowel movement within three days of use, consult your doctor. Keep out of reach of children. Consult your doctor if: laxatives are needed every day, or abdominal pain persists, you accidently take too many tablets, you have been told that you have an intolerance to some sugars. Do not take if: your abdomen is tender to the touch or hurts when you move, you have sharp or persistent stomach pain. You may experience temporary mild stomach pains. If you have these or any other symptoms after taking this product, tell your doctor or pharmacist. Do not use after the expiry date shown on the pack (EXP month/year). If laxatives are required daily or if you have persistent abdominal pain or change of bowel habits consult your doctor. Consult your doctor or pharmacist if you have an underlying medical condition, are taking any other medication or complementary therapy or if symptoms persist. Seek advice before using if you are breast feeding, pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or suffer from allergies. Contains Senna.
To find your nearest Rowlands Pharmacy simply enter your postcode into the store finder.